Suggestions for Juniors
1. Provide your email address to your guidance counselor so that the counselor can keep you informed of helpful information and deadlines.
A-Caz - Mr. Carter - firstname.lastname@example.org
Cb-Dox - Ms. Clancy - email@example.com
Doy-Haz - Mr. Woods - firstname.lastname@example.org
Hb-Macc - Mrs. Dornisch - email@example.com
Macd-Nez - Mrs. Powell - firstname.lastname@example.org
Nf-Sha - Ms. Brennan - email@example.com
Shb-Zz- Mr. Powers - firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Plan for and register for the SAT - sign up and register by visiting http://www.collegeboard.com
Use the CEEB code 220745 to have your scores sent to Weymouth High.
May 7th SAT exam, you must register by April 8.
June 4th SAT exam, you must register by May 6.
NOTE: Students planning to attend some colleges and universities may need to take one or more SAT subject tests. These may not be taken on the same day as the SAT. Check with the college's website or see your counselor if you are not sure if your college requires SAT subject tests.
3. Register (free) for virtual college fairs at http://www.collegeweeklive.com
This is a great way to learn about colleges all across the country. You can merely observe and learn or you can participate in live chat sessions. Many sessions are recorded if you are unable to view them live.
4. Start thinking about a half dozen schools (or more) that may be of interest to you.
Plan to visit a few colleges during school vacations, weekend, holidays. There are many colleges close to us including Boston schools like Boston College, Boston University, Suffolk, UMass Boston, Emerson, Northeastern etc. to other more suburban schools like Curry, Stonehill, Lasell, Bridgewater, Endicott, etc. You could also plan to visit some more distant schools or even schools out of state. Begin to plan visits to colleges during the summer as well.
5. Consider visiting the 2011 Spring Boston National College Fair at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center on Tuesday April 12 or Wednesday April 13.
You may plan to attend with friends or with your family in the evening hours. 6-9 on Tuesday. Keep your ears open for a possible field trip as well.
6. Sign in to the Naviance website http://connection.naviance.com/fc/signin.php?hsid=weymouth to begin to learn more about yourself by completing personality and interest tests.
You can also begin to search for colleges by indicating areas of study (majors) that you plan to study in the future.
You will need your personal access code to be able to save your results in Naviance. See your counselor if you need assistance or need your access code.