Many young people feel a variety of emotions when faced with the loss of a friend and classmate. It is important that parents and guardians talk with their children about how they are feeling. This link will provide additional resources to assist parents in helping their adolescent who is grieving.
After the Tragedy in a Community PowerPoint Presentation or view this PowerPoint as a PDF by clicking here.
Grief Support Services
The Samaritans offers a variety of programs for survivors of suicide loss. All are free of charge. If you are ever working with an individual who is grieving a suicide loss, we would appreciate it if you would consider recommending our programs.
- SafePlace: This drop-in support group for survivors of suicide loss is facilitated by trained volunteers, most of whom have also lost a loved one to suicide. There are six locations in Boston, South Boston, Framingham, Medford, Quincy, and Worcester. All groups meet twice a month.
- Survivor to Survivor Network: This service allows recently bereaved survivors of suicide loss to meet individually or as a family with a pair of trained volunteers, most of whom have also lost a loved one to suicide.
- Annual SafePlace Memorial: This interdenominational service honors the memory of all of the loved ones we have lost to suicide. It is held every January at the First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington.
- Annual 5K Run/Walk and Family Fun Festival: This event is held every fall as a way to celebrate and remember those lost to suicide as well as to raise awareness of suicide prevention.
- 24-Hour Helpline: Survivors of suicide loss can call our 24-hour helpline any time of the day or night. Our volunteers are trained to support those grieving the loss of a loved one to suicide. They give unconditional support and listen without judgment.
(877) 870-HOPE (4673)
- Post-vention: After the loss of someone in a community to suicide, our staff or volunteers can come and speak with members of the community who would like to talk about their experiences.
- Outreach and Education: We can come speak to the staff or members of your organization about the unique factors that go into grieving a suicide loss.
If you are interested in any of these programs, please contact:
email@example.com - 617-526-2460
Samaritans Grief Support Locations
Samaritans Grief Support Brochure